If you want to enrol in the Apple Developer program, you will need to obtain a D-U-N-S number for your business first. Apple requires all developers to have a D-U-N-S number to verify their business identity and ensure that only legitimate businesses are able to enroll in the program and publish apps on the App Store.
What is a D-U-N-S number?
A D-U-N-S number is a unique 9-digit identification number assigned to businesses by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). It's used to establish a company's creditworthiness and credibility when applying for loans, contracts, and business partnerships.
D&B may have already assigned your business a free D-U-N-S number if it is recognized as a legal entity. Before enrolling in the Apple Developer program, you can use the D-U-N-S number lookup tool to check if your business has one. If your business has a D-U-N-S number, you can proceed with your enrollment.
However, if your business is not listed, you can submit your information to D&B to obtain a free D-U-N-S number by check-marking the box and selecting 'Submit'. This will give Apple authorization to provide your business information to D&B.
To get a D-U-N-S number, you must provide the following details:
Legal name of the business
Business & Mailing address
Business telephone number
Name of the CEO or owner
Year the business was established
Legal structure of the business: This is the type of legal structure the business has, such as a corporation, sole proprietorship, partnership, or LLC.
Number of employees
How to request a D-U-N-S number?
If you don’t have a D-U-N-S number, here's how you can request one:
1. Visit the Dun & Bradstreet website: Go to https://www.dnb.com/duns-number/get-a-duns.html to start the process.
2. Choose the right option: Select the option that best describes your business, such as a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or nonprofit organisation.
3. Provide your business information: Fill out the form with your business name, address, and other relevant details. Be sure to provide accurate information as it will be used to verify your business.
4. Verify your information: Dun & Bradstreet may ask for additional information or documents to verify your business's identity. They may also contact you to confirm the information you provided.
5. Receive your D-U-N-S number: Once your information has been verified, Dun & Bradstreet will assign a unique D-U-N-S number to your business. You can expect to receive your number via email within 30 business days.
If your business is recognized as an Individual, Sole Proprietor, or Single Person Business, it is necessary to update your business licence to a legal entity to enrol in the Apple Developer program as a 'Company/Organization'. Apptile cannot assist with the implementation for 'Individual/Sole Proprietor' status.
If you have already enrolled as an 'Individual/Sole Proprietor', you need to contact the D&B team to update your account and upgrade the legal status of your D-U-N-S number. Contact them here or at (855) 444-3091. Note that it takes up to 14 business days for D&B to provide updated legal status information to Apple. After activating your D-U-N-S number as an Organization, you can complete your enrollment as an 'Organization' with Apple Developer.
Upon requesting a D-U-N-S Number, it may take up to 5 business days for D&B to provide you with your number, and expediting the creation process will not shorten this waiting period. If your application has not been processed within two weeks, please contact D&B. Once you receive your D-U-N-S Number, please allow up to 2 business days for Apple to receive your information from D&B. After this period, you can proceed with enrolling in the Apple Developer program as a 'Company/Organization'.
Still have questions on launching your app? We are always here to help. Write to us at [email protected] and shoot your queries, we will get back to you.